Gede’s prosperity peaked in the 15th century but by the 17th century the town had been abandoned. The town’s abandonment is attributed to several factors including; raids from neighboring communities, arrival of the Portuguese, conflict in neighboring city states of Malindi and Mombasa, and a drop in the water table.
In 1929 it was declared a protected monument and in the late 1930’s some of the buildings which were in danger of collapsing were repaired by the Public Works Department of the Kenya Government. Sitting on 45 acres of land, excavations at the site continue to this day
- 360 Panoramic tours
- Videos / Interviews
- Terrestrial Laser Scanning
Gede Digital Archive
The Gede Digitisation project brings together multiple data sets created to document the site and share it with wider audiences. The archive contains extensive spatial data as well as audio/visual recordings of the site and community members.